Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9364 - 14/06/2000 09:59 "Hold" rotary button...
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When Hugo demoed the MK2 prototype for us in San Jose, I don't remember whether there was a function assigned to pressing and holding the rotary knob. As it stands now, I think you can press the rotary button to enter the menu structure, but I don't think there's been a function assigned to holding it down. Since the other four buttons all have alternate behavior if you hold them down, it would make sense for the rotary button to have something similar.

Hugo, did you have any plans for this function? If not, may I make a suggestion? (And I'm sure others will jump in here with their suggestions, too.)

How about making that go to bass/treble/fader/balance? I know you haven't implemented bass and treble on the DSP yet, but this could be your excuse to do it.

#9365 - 14/06/2000 10:29 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: tfabris]
ppslim
journeyman

Loc: N Wales, UK
From reading through the PDF - it says 'Wehn in play mode the control allows you toadjust the volume. Pushing the knob changes to another setting.'

I don't understand what this 'another setting' is, but with all this fuss about not having the visuals on startup, you could impliment the change info to the knob when you hold it down.

Proud owner of #161
Proud owner of #161

#9366 - 14/06/2000 10:33 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: ppslim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

you could impliment the change info to the knob when you hold it down.

That's already been implemented, but with a different button. Since beta 11, the bottom button switches to the visuals when you hold it down. So that still leaves the rotary button "hold" function free for something else.

#9367 - 14/06/2000 10:44 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

How about making that go to bass/treble/fader/balance? I know you haven't implemented bass and treble on the DSP yet, but this could be your excuse to do it.

Doesn't the voice-control require holding down a button? I would think that they'll probably need this button for this feature - at least until they can get the empeg to just recognize that it's being spoken to..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#9368 - 15/06/2000 22:51 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: tfabris]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
How about implementing fast forward / rewind via the knob when you hold it down. E.g. hold knob down, spin forward, track position moves forward equiavlently. Have that as a large-scale movement and the normal fast forward / rewind as a micro adjustment.

This is similar behaviour to other devices I've seen...

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#9369 - 16/06/2000 15:30 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: PaulWay]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Or, better yet, a shuttle control that allows you to spin to the appropriate fast forward speed -- that way you don't have to sit there spinning and spinning, especially with your Infinity Mix. ;)

Alex

#9370 - 17/06/2000 00:12 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: tfabris]
buts
journeyman

Loc: sydney australia
how about if when you press and hold down the nob it turns on empeg even if the accesoris line is not powered up (eg keys not in the ignishion )

#9371 - 17/06/2000 00:51 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: buts]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
turns on empeg even if the accesories line is not powered up (keys not in the ignition )

Thanks . . . . GREAT IDEA . . . !
I had a great Grundig car radio a few years back that could do something like this. Normally, it was triggered by the ignition line, just like the empeg player. If, however, you turned it on within 15 minutes or so after ignition was killed, you got 30 minutes playing time even with with ignition off. Then you could turn it on within 15 minutes again for another half hour, etc.

A feature - empeg worthy !
(in doing it the Grundig-way, it doesn't even need a dedicated key-press )

Henno
ex 00120

#9372 - 17/06/2000 01:10 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: Alexander]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
especially with your Infinity Mix. ;)

Which BTW, I absolutely love. I have been meaning to send you an e-mail about how wonderful it is, but it keeps slipping my mind.

I completely dig trance music. Often, I put your mix on when entering a 3-4 hour period of hardcore programming, and just lose myself. Too bad it's hard to concentrate on programming with E in your system.. ;) I'm *VERY* much looking to see if you come up with anything else I can snag. 8)

PS: just got your email about your new mix, have yet to download it, but I'm sure it'll be awesome like your last one.

Later! Keep up the great work Paul!

(O|||||O)

#9373 - 17/06/2000 08:18 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: Alexander]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Hmm. Lets get this straight.

turn--> Volume control
hold & turn--> Shuttle control (with relative speed indicator on screen please!)
press & turn--> sound controls (bass, treble, pan, fader, loudness...)
hold, release & turn--> access Menu system

others...?

ps. about those mixes bro, make them for the MP3 market. do the mix then split them into tracks and encode them. then edit the out point so it is seamless. We can then have that as one playlist (no shuffle) but navigate thru easily.

#9374 - 17/06/2000 21:59 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: Henno]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not actually possible, sorry - the frontboard isn't powered when the player is in standby (this is to keep the power consumption <1mA).

However, we can set the mk2 up so that when you take the key out, it will stay on.

Hugo

#9375 - 18/06/2000 13:07 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
we can set the mk2 up so that when you take the key out, it will stay on. . .

Could you make it to time-out when no commands are issued within, say 20 minutes?

Henno
ex 00120

Edited by henno on 18/6/00 09:09 PM.

#9376 - 19/06/2000 00:07 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: muzza]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
In reply to:

ps. about those mixes bro, make them for the MP3 market. do the mix then split them into tracks and encode them. then edit the out point so it is seamless. We can then have that as one playlist (no shuffle) but navigate thru easily.

Aaaarrrrggh!

No, for two reasons. Firstly, I spend long enough putting them together and getting the editing right, I don't want to then effectively undo my work. Secondly, I sort of intended them to be listened to from start to finish, which the empeg and my CD player can do perfectly well. Besides, I don't really want to add to the MP3 cargo cult.

When a decent ID3v2 tag editor comes out I'll put cue tags into the mix at the points where the new song mixes in. Since empeg have said they'll support ID3v2, I'm hoping that will also mean the empeg can skip forward/backward to cue points, and display cue information on the info display.

I'm looking at ID3v2 tag editors now...

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#9377 - 19/06/2000 10:23 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: muzza]
Kureg

In reply to:

Hmm. Lets get this straight.

turn--> Volume control
hold & turn--> Shuttle control (with relative speed indicator on screen please!)

others...?

How about:

Press in rapid succession short and long bursts - morse code transmitter

Kureg

#9378 - 19/06/2000 13:20 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: Kureg]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Or morse code note taker!

-Waiting to replace the hole in my truck with a Mark2

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#9379 - 19/06/2000 18:37 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: muzza]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Orrrr...

Turn--> Volume control

Press & hold L R buttons--> FF starts and a shuttle bar appears at the bottom of the screen, similar to the volume control. While it stays active, you can use the dial to vary the rate. Pressing the dial or the bottom button returns to normal play mode.

#9380 - 19/06/2000 18:40 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: bmihulka]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Or we could just use the Nazi Enigma cipher devise to select the songs.
Or we could convert the display to a braille machine

Or we could not.

#9381 - 19/06/2000 20:17 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: PaulWay]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Gotta chime in and say that I love the fact that your mixes are really long. It is neat to have a piece of music that I can put on and then listen to for hours. My mp3 players are almost always in shuffle mode so cutting the mix up would not really work well for me. This way, when the long mix comes up (as a random selection) I hear the whole thing as intended.

Waiting for more.

-Mike

#9382 - 20/06/2000 01:21 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: muzza]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
My human-computer-interaction lecturer is turning in his, erm, chair.

Rob

#9383 - 23/06/2000 05:09 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: rob]
Alexander

>press & turn--> sound controls (bass, treble, pan, fader, loudness...)
>hold, release & turn--> access Menu system

What's the difference between "press & turn" and "hold, release & turn"? It the latter just a long press and turn?

Anyway, this should all be (obviously) customizable.

It would be cool to integrate this with the voice recognition. "Empeg! Menu" and the knob would do menus, "Empeg! Equalizer", "Empeg! Balance", "Empeg! Shuttle", etc., etc.

How about a song shuttle? Like the "Now and Next" screen, where spinning the knob skips a song for each click, so you can spin it until you see a song in your shuffle list that you feel like hearing. :)

Alex

#9384 - 23/06/2000 07:54 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: Alexander]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
How about a song shuttle? Like the "Now and Next" screen, where spinning the knob skips a song for each click, so you can spin it until you see a song in your shuffle list that you feel like hearing. :)

I agree completely. I would love to be able to scroll through the "Now&Next" screen without changing what's currently playing. Is this possible in the current playlist model?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#9385 - 25/06/2000 14:13 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: Alexander]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

What's the difference between "press & turn" and "hold, release & turn"? It the latter just a long press and turn?

the event sequence goes something like:
Press and turn--> button on, button turn, button off
Press, release & turn--> button on, button off, button turn

any help?

#9386 - 25/06/2000 21:34 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: muzza]
Alexander

not really, 'cause there's also "hold & turn" -- which would be the same as your "press and turn".

Unless the button is a toggle button that "sticks" in the down state? That would be somewhat confusing from a UI perspective.

Alex

#9387 - 26/06/2000 04:10 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: muzza]
bryan
journeyman

Loc: New Zealand
Or,

Press, three left, seven right, release, two left, double press -> unlocks player... Now there's an arcane security feature.

And another hideous UI.

#9388 - 26/06/2000 12:09 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: bryan]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Actually, I was thinking of something similar. How easy would it be to implement a combination lock using the rotary knob? heh!

Calvin

#9389 - 26/06/2000 13:22 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

How easy would it be to implement a combination lock using the rotary knob?

Wouldn't that be sweet? You could do a little animated display of a combination padlock on the screen.

#9390 - 26/06/2000 14:39 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

It wouldn't be very useful, because anyone would be able to shoulder surf the combination through a window. It would have to be done audibly, using tones as you turn the knob, it will elicit the sound of a dog barking, a hand clapping, a rocket shop, a firecracker, and you have to select 4 sounds in combination to unlock the unit. Of course, anyone in the car would be able to ear-surf the combination. :(

So at best it would be a toy, so given a "4 microphone array" how about a simple voice print?

Calvin

#9391 - 26/06/2000 15:43 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: eternalsun]
bryan
journeyman

Loc: New Zealand
"how about a simple voice print"

Bit of a contradicion in terms?

I'm sorry I have a cold...

#9392 - 27/06/2000 14:17 Re: "Hold" rotary button... [Re: bryan]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

simple,

don't get a cold. besides, if you have one, you have no right to listen to music.

Calvin